Thursday, October 14, 2010

Gotta Get Through This

The chorus of this song has been in my head all day.  I think it's my battle cry.  Let me catch you up on how this happened.  

We took William for his 6 month pictures this weekend, and of course they were outside and will be beautiful.  However, I think William has allergies like his dad and he started acting funny Saturday evening/Sunday.  He who normally devours every drop of his bottle started leaving about an ounce.  He was a little fussy Sunday, and Monday they said he wasn't acting like himself at daycare.  I noticed that he was a little off, too, plus he started coughing.  Same situation on Tuesday, not really himself and he had two bad diapers at daycare, if there had been a third I would have had to go get him.  Tuesday night I debated making a doctor appointment for Wednesday morning, but I looked in my baby resource books and all symptoms could be from teething, so I decided to pray about it and wait and see.  Well, he lasted about an hour at daycare Wednesday morning before having two back to back bad diapers and I had to go get him.  We went directly to the pediatrician, and guess what?  One ear is infected and the other is heading in that direction.  We've started antibiotics.          

Wednesday afternoon was okay.  There were a few more bad diapers.  We went through 5 outfits.  William and Murtle really enjoyed their extra time together.  I had to go volunteer at Hollydays, so Patrick had evening duty, and unfortunately that's when William decided to be the fussiest.

Today started out with a bad diaper, then a starving, screaming baby.  After a bottle and food, he seemed to return to his normal happy self.  Then came lunch time.  We've been giving William a bottle before food, and he's not eating that great because he's getting full from the bottle.  So the pediatrician said to start giving food first, ha!  I tried it yesterday for lunch and it was fairly successful, however Patrick had no such luck last night at dinner and today's lunch was awful!  I offerered squash first, which resulted in the biggest tears in the world.  Then we tried apples, which he liked, but we only had a little left so then I tried an apple cinnamon oatmeal mixture leftover from breakfast...more enormous heart-breaking tears.  So I said okay, lets try a bottle.  William took a few ounces then started coughing and vomiting.  So we stripped down in the kitchen to our diaper.  And that's when the song started playing in my head. 

He doesn't look too miserable does he?  I'm not a fan of babies wearing only diapers, but this is one of very few times when I didn't care.   I waited about an hour or so, then offered William a few more ounces from a bottle.  Not smart.  More vomiting.  This time we ended up in the bathtub. 

He seems to be doing okay now.  I hate hearing him cough, though.  Now I'm watching for signs of dehydration and praying that doesn't happen. 

On a postive note,  I have loved spending these days at home with Doodle (William's current nickname, short for Doodlebug).  He's still army crawling all over the place and also has started turning in circles on his hands and knees.    He pushed himself into a sitting position several times yesterday, and today he's doing the downward facing dog pose.  You may think we're crazy, but Patrick and I can't wait for him to start crawling. 

P.S.  If for some reason the hyperlink won't work, this is the song I'm referring to: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4eMyOzD9UI

No comments:

Post a Comment